Causes of Infertility In Women
Age is an important factor in female sub-fertility.Increasing age reduces fertility in women and also the likelihood of successful treatment.Even in a younger woman, a depleted ovarian reserve will reduce natural fertility.
- Gynaecological conditions-ovulation failure-oligomenorrhoea or amenorrhoea, tubal damage, cervical mucous defects, uterine fibroids, endometriosis, etc.
- Coital infrequency and poor timing.
- Menstrual irregularities.
- Pelvic infection(current or past).
- Current medical illness like Tuberculosis.
- Tubal block.
- Pelvic Imflammatory disease.
- Associated pathology ,e.g, fibroids, endometriosis.
What is the process for female fertility testing?
On first visit to the gynaecologist a routine check-up is done to rule out harmonal imbalanace e.g., excessive hair growth on face & upper chest & obesity. A gentle pelvic examination is done.
A detailed menstrual history is taken & fertile days are explained to the couple.
It is common for the fertility specialists to perform the following tests:
Harmonal Evaluation : This is done on 2nd day of periods.
Hysterosalpingogram (HSG) : This test tells us about the uterine cairty & the patency of fallopian tubes.
Hysteroscopy : uterine cairty & both tubal ostia can be seen under magnification operative hysteroscopy can be used for
- Submucous myoma
- Tubal Canulation for ostial block
- endometrial polyps
- septate uterus correction
- T-shaped cairty of uterus
Laparoscopy : Your physician will be checking for endometriosis, scar tissue, or other adhesions. Operative laparoscopy is used for removal of fibroid uterus (myomectomy), chocolate cysts, adhesiolysis & ovarian drilling for polycystic ovaries.